Thursday, January 19, 2012

12th Annual Light of Day Concerts-NYC/Asbury Park, NJ to fight Parkinson's Disease

It was an amazing weekend full of the most wonderful people and talented musicians around. 16 shows, over 100 performers, 5 nights...beginning at the Canal Room and ending at the Watermark on the beach in Asbury Park, NJ...my old stomping ground. The concerts, started by Bob Benjamin, are to fight Parkinson's Disease, which Mr. Benjamin suffers from. What Mr. Benjamin does for the rock and roll community, and what the community does for him is really a testament of the love everyone has for this man and how we all want to find a cure for this horrible disease.
I saw some of the most amazing performers over 5 days. 5 days of no sleep and LOTS of picture taking.Joe D'Urso, Willie Nile, James Maddock, Israel Nash Gripka, Rich Pagano, Jake Clemons, JT Bowen and the Sensational Soul Cuisers, Marc Cusa, Robert Gordon, Outside the Box, Maybe Pete,No Wine For Kittens, Angelina, Lighting Jar, Laura Warshauer, Keith Kenny, Juneberries, Colton Kayser,Rick Barry, McKeon,Je Miller, Tara Elliot and the Red Velvets, Jo Wymer, SLim CHance and the Gamblers, Upstage Jam Band, Jody Joseph, Nick Clemons, Jason Heath, Jo Bannano, Sonny Kenn, Boccigalupe, Mike Rocket, Laura Crisci, Joy Bodnar, George Wirth, Sandy Mack, Billy Hector,Bruce Tunkel,Lisa Bianco, Jon Caspi, Emily Grove, Chris Brown, Jorgen and Jessica Johansson who flew all the way in from Sweden to perform,Dawne Allyne, David Bromberg, Joe Gruschecky and the Houserockers, Garland Jeffreys, John Eddie, Rock and Roll Chorus, Rob Dye, Linda Chorney, Anthony D'Amato, Lisa Bouchelle, Southside Johnny and the Poor Fools and of course, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.
Aside from Springsteen's 2 hour rocking set, some highlights for me were seeing Maybe Pete, Tara Elliot, WIllie Nile,Joe D'Urso and James Maddock who just blew me away. I have been hearing A LOT about a local performer, Linda Chorney, who has been nominated for a Grammy Award and was most looking forward to hearing her, Ms. Chorney has been getting a lot of grief on the internet lately from mean people who don't understand why she has been nominated for music's highest award since they never heard of her. Well, sit back music fans--YOU WILL! She did not disappoint at all and has a long career ahead of so remember her name.
Other than no sleep for 5 days, the only other bad things were :I lost my temper at a concert goer and we screamed a little (well, a lot) at one another and I am really embarrassed at my actions. We have since chatted and all is fine, but my embarrassment will forever live on and I hope that while I will always remember what happened, I hope everyone else forgets. The other thing was getting an email as soon as Springsteen started singing "Because The Night" that my good friend and old co-worker Susan Liu had passed away. Susan and I worked together at the Monmouth County Park System from 1988-1999. RIP my dear friend.


more photos here:
http://rothenbergphoto.zenfolio.com/f1028772555













































Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home