Friday, September 14, 2007

In Memoriam, Opie and Fenway

Fenway:


today I got the sad news that my friend, Marietta, lost her second cat, Fenway. Just 2 moths ago, Fenway's brother opie passed away.
Other than my cat, Max, I have never met more loving, cute, wonderful animals. It didn't hurt that they looked like my beloved Max.
When people talk about FATE and how 2 people are meant to be friends, that is Marietta and I. She is originally from Long Island but has lived in Alaska for over a decade. She was moving to NYC several years ago to see if she liked it here before moving back to the East Coast. My good friend Dari, who is originally from Manhattan but has been in California for several decades, called me 3 years ago to see if I knew of anyone who had an apt they could sublet for a few months. I just moved uptown from the village but missed it dearly so I rented a small studio on West 10th Street. I told Dari I would meet with Marietta but no promises since I just rented the place. Marietta and I met and IMMEDIATELY clicked. I felt as if I had known her my entire life.
The day she was moving in was the day I met her cats, Opie and Fenway. I told her how they looked like my cat and I told her how one night Philip, my husband, and I were driving back from a friend's house on the Long Island Expressway and we saw 2 cats roaming in the back of a red SUV. She asked when that was and we found out that the SUV with the cats we saw were her and her cats! Talk about a small world,and fate!
Max, Fenway and Opie are now all together. I hope they look after my boy as he will look after them

Fenway 6 March 1993 - 14 September 2007
Opie 6 March 1993 - 9 July 2007

1 Comments:

Blogger terri said...

Hi Debbie
I want to thank you for the 9 11 piece. I used it for a program at the senior center. It was deeply moving to have a first hand account of that day. I did not know what I was going to do for the program until I checked your blog that morning and I knew it was exactly what we were looking for. Thank you again. Terri Hunter

4:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home